Key Functions of the Safeguarding Team
The DSL will lead the safeguarding team and allocate tasks to safeguarding team members via regular team meetings. The DSL will have management oversight of the safeguarding work completed by the safeguarding team. Below is a list of the some of the tasks that the DSL will undertake:
- Contribute to Combined Assessments, complete DASH risk assessments (in relation to Domestic Abuse), complete CSE screening tools.
- Make contact with Children’s Social Care/ Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) when there is an identified child protection issue.
- Make referrals to appropriate statutory and non-statutory services for support.
- Support to children and their families by taking the Lead Professional role.
- Attend and deliver Safeguarding Training (whole school training)
- Challenge practice and decisions in line with the LSCB Escalation Policy
- Have a thorough understanding of the thresholds for support from Children’s Social Care e.g. Children in Need of protection and children in need of care
- Support each other (De Briefing opportunities and reflective learning opportunities)
- Champion and know who your vulnerable children are. The Safeguarding Risk Register should be reviewed at Safeguarding Team meetings on a regular basis.